08 July 2009

The Peak Princess Story

1. What inspired your business idea for Peak Princess?

I was inspired on a sunny day in the park having cake with my god-daughter, Tilly, and her Mum Jo. (I was on a career break after getting completely burnt out by city life and constant deadlines). It struck me that there was a gap in the market for beautifully made children's wear in prints that you don't get on the high street. I was very lucky that Liberty liked what I was doing and agreed to supply my fabrics. I've also been incredibly fortunate to have my Mum's support - she was a dress designer in the sixties and even had her designs featured in Vogue. She's a constant source of great advice.

2. What does your company do?

I handmake dresses for babies and little girls from six months to six years in Liberty prints from my home in the High Peak - hence the name Peak Princess! I want every little girl to feel as special as I did when my Mum used to make dresses for me.

3. What is one of your lessons learned in starting your own business?

I've learnt so many lessons I can't begin to tell you. My sister-in-law is the design director for Jellycat and I'd say she's taught me most about business. I'm a journalist by training so this has been a steep learning curve. My number one tip is to listen to criticism. Criticism stings and it's often difficult to not take it personally, especially when you're putting your heart and soul into something - which is what you are doing with handmade goods. But the criticisms I've had have been the most valuable pieces of advice. But balance that with having faith in your own judgment and be decisive.


4. How long did it take you to research your market and prepare before you launched?

I sat in the park with Tilly in June last year. The collection was launched in March but I didn't really get going full time until November as I'd been on a career break after a hectic 7 years in news and documentaries. My first port of call was my local Business Link adviser Sue who was great. I had a distinct idea of what the designs would be like and spent about six months product testing and doing market research. Friends have been incredibly patient trying on endless dresses until I was happy with the design. I took fabric samples everywhere I went and asked everyone and anyone who'd listen what they thought! And of course I did a lot of research on pricing. My target customer base divides into two camps - one a gift market for godparents, friends, relatives and grandparents looking for a very special gift and then second, professional Mums in their 30s and 40s who want their little girls to wear something made with love that can't be bought elsewhere.


5. What is your passion in life?

I have loads of passions - it's corny but number one is my husband Nik. Number two is where we live in Chinley. I love this part of the country and it's wonderful to make the High Peak a central selling point of my dresses. Number three is creating a wonderful product whether that's my dresses or in my previous life great documentaries and news programmes. After that I guess it's fell racing (and cake!).

Christine speaks with Lissa Cook

Peak Princess

No comments: