25 June 2009

Christine speaks to Keira at Mamascarf - very inspiring!

What inspired your business idea for Mamascarf?

I came up with the idea for Mamascarf when breastfeeding my (then) baby, Sam. I was self conscious about feeding in public and always trying to cover up but finding that nothing worked - blankets overheated him, he would pull off scarves and muslins and they would block my view of him. Added to this I would get arm and back ache without my support cushions. When I realised there was a gap in the market I decided to do something about it.

What does your company do?

My company creates and sells Mamascarf breastfeeding scarves online and through independent retailers.

What is your top tips in starting your own company?

My top tip would be to test the market when setting up a new business, so you know whether it's going to work or not without ploughing too much money into it. When I first launched Mamascarf, I had no idea whether it was going to be a success. So I had an initial small order made up to see how it went and said to myself if I lost that money it wouldn't be the end of the world and at least I had given it a go. Luckily it worked!

What are your plans for 2009?

My plans for 2009 are to build the distribution of Mamascarf by gaining new stocklists.

What is a fun fact about yourself?

Fact - My son was born on my first wedding anniversary.

Christine speaks with Keira at Mamascarf

No comments: